Sunday, July 12, 2009

Eat Your Peas!!! Recipe: Chicken & Snow Peas


My mom let me plant in her garden this year. As you can see from the above pictures, Mackenzie was very involved in her first garden. We put in carrots, snow and shelling peas, green and yellow bush beans, broccoli, butternut squash, zucchini, green onions, and bell peppers! Look at it now!


We planted towards the end of May and now the snow peas are ready! So what did I do with them? A lot of them were eaten while they were being picked! Last night for dinner I took some of them and just sauteed them with sun dried tomato & basil olive oil as a side to chicken. And, I made this the other night:


I used to get this all the time at a Chinese restaurant that has been closed for awhile. Mine was a little different than theirs but it was really good. I only had the chicken and the peas on hand but next time I want to add some other things. Water chestnuts or cashews would be good additions. Anyway, here's what I did. As with any recipe please read through the whole thing before starting. I also like to cut and mix whatever I can before I start cooking, especially with a stir fry when everything is cooking so fast.

  • In a hot wok or other large pan with 1-2 tablespoons oil cook 1 to 1.5 pounds chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces. You could also use thighs or whatever. Remove from pan and set aside, try to leave any remaining liquid and oil in the pan.
  • Add 2 chopped garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon ginger (I used the kind in the tube but you can just grate or chop fresh), and 2-3 cups fresh snow peas to the wok. Saute for a minute or two, just until peas are bright green and everything smells nice.
  • For the sauce, mix up 1.5 cups chicken stock or broth, 1/4 cup soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch. Add the chicken back to the pan and pour sauce over. Simmer until sauce is thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
  • Serve over rice or noodles. I did steamed brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment