Monday, March 16, 2009

IKEA anyone?


A few weeks ago Dan had a day off and we decided an outing was needed and went on one with our friends/neighbors. We somehow decided IKEA, followed by MOA. Of course 30 minutes after we got to IKEA a blizzard began, so we just waited and walked around the mall all day. We had lunch at the Rainforest Cafe. It was so much fun. We used to go there all the time "back in the day" when there was just two of us...and gas was cheaper. Pictured above are our IKEA finds. Of course everything was for the punkin'! We had been looking for a chair for her for awhile and finally found one we could afford! I can't believe they try to charge you $79 for the ones at Target. This one was $29 and the cover comes off so you can wash it! We also found the miniature set of utensils. They were in the play section, but the tag said they were tested food safe and stainless steel. They were only $5. I had seen a set in a children's catalog that was just 1 fork, 1 knife, and 1 spoon for i think $20! This one is 4 of each and came with it's own little tray. No more plastic! The only plastic we have left is sippy cups, which are bpa free. We are working on drinking out of a glass...fun, fun! The third thing we bought was a tent. As you can see it's quite roomy. You can fit a bunch of pillows, a punkin', a puppy, and a daddy in it! And, you can take it down and roll it up somewhat easily. Of course it was bigger when we got it home than in the store. Oh well. I had been wanting to find or make some sort of place that she could go. I was planning to make a cardboard playhouse after being inspired by this one: http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/cardboard-playhouse-plans.html (love this site, look around!). I of course wasn't going to stick to the plan and was going to make a much more extravagant version. I never got around to getting boxes, but while trying to find boxes on the internet I came across this awesome product which has plans for all kinds of cardboard things http://www.mrmcgroovys.com/t-how-to.aspx (this site also tells you how to get the boxes). Then I thought maybe I would make one from fabric and found a free pattern on the boy scout website. Then we went to IKEA and I saw this and realized that I didn't really have time to make one right now so we bought it. I am glad we did because she's really not as into it as I thought she would be and I think I would have been a little sad if I would have made it and she didn't play in it. Especially since it would have taken me a long time to do it. So, anyway, the new plan is to maybe make a cardboard one when she is a little older and she can help paint it or something. I think we need to get out more. That was like a mini vacation, with souvenirs and everything!

2 comments:

  1. it's funny, we have 2 different tents, and my kids prefer to play with a blanket draped over something.....Does the tent collapse, or do you have to put poles together and stuff? I've seen the silverware there and I never thought of having the kids use it...what a great idea! I love Ikea...we should go there again.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to put the poles together, but there are only two. And she loves her silverware!

    ReplyDelete