Sunday, January 4, 2009

Stripping diapers for the last time! (I hope)

In my diaper stash I have 2 dozen 4x8x8 regular size prefolds and 6 bum genius one size pockets, 2 pairs of wool longies made from used sweaters, 1 soaker I knit, and 1 bummis super whisper wrap. I am in love with my diapers (mostly my prefolds) and will do anything to make them work. It doesn't have to be so complicated, really. I think that the more we do to make things better and the more complicated it gets the worse off we are. I never had one problem until we started solid foods. Then they started to get a little stinky and really stinky in the morning!
These are the most basic instructions you will find for washing cloth diapers: cold rinse, hot wash with 1/4 amount of detergent with cold rinse, and then an extra cold rinse. But then there's is the great question: What detergent do I use? Some people say use anything, others say make sure you use something without any additives. Some say use the full amount of detergent. If you have stinky diapers use more detergent...no wait, some say use less! Don't use vinegar and baking soda on anything with plastic or elastic because it will wear out faster...using vinegar and baking soda is fine! Eeeek! I thought this was supposed to be simple! (If you are considering cloth, don't let me scare you, most people don't have any problems).
So, I started talking to some people. It seems there are two theories on stink and rash that I have come across. 1) Detergent residue & 2) Bacteria. Did you know that detergent does not sanitize? That's right, you the bacteria goes into the washer and the bacteria comes out (I am not a bug freak, I think most of them are good for you, but probably not the ones in your precious little punkin's poo). Ok, so let's go ahead and solve the detergent residue problem. We could sit there and try 10 different detergents in a million different amounts. I started to do that and I don't want to anymore! So let's just take the detergent out all together. There is a woman on the wool soaker yahoo group I belong to that said she doesn't use any detergent at all! She just does a long cold wash and then hangs them on the line to dry in the sun. The washing machine gets all of the icky off (that's what it's supposed to do silly) and the sun, in case you didn't know, naturally disinfects (bacteria :)) them. This method also saves water, it's half the washing time of the basic method, and you hang dry. Hmmm...this makes sense and is very interesting to me. However, I live in MN and it's a little frosty outside right now so how would I disinfect without the sun outside. Ok, let's take care of the second problem. What's natural, cheap and disinfects? Vinegar of course! I did a google search and found this article: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/386495/how_to_disinfect_and_bleach_laundry.html?cat=6 .

Taking all of this into consideration I have a new plan that will save me time, money, water, and electricity! I will put my diapers in the washer, add vinegar and baking soda, let it do it's thing and then hang them all on my drying rack (added bonus is added humidity in my home). They get a little crunchy this way so I will just pop them in the dryer on fluff for about 10 minutes. When it's warm again (will this actually happen someday?) I can hang them outside and maybe ditch the vinegar and let the sun do the work.

Over the last few days I have been stripping my diapers and I am ready to get started with the new plan. I just hope it works.

Notes:
-When your baby is exclusively breastfed you don't need to rinse off the poo, but once you get to solids you need to get rid of the solids in the toilet (did you know you are supposed to do this with disposables too so human feces doesn't go into the landfill?).
-In addition to vinegar, many essential oils also disinfect
-According to manufacturers of diapers with any PUL (plastic barrier) and elastic, you are not supposed to use vinegar and baking soda because it can break down these things so if you have diapers like this you may want to rethink my washing method. I barely use these types of diapers, but am thinking of making some fitteds and will probably wash them this way anyway because if the breakdown actually happens I can just fix it.

Future related discussions: Cloth diapers are better for the environment; Poo from your diapers in your washer is not disgusting and here's why; My love affair with baking soda & vinegar

No comments:

Post a Comment