Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A new year, one month at a time

My house is a disaster. I have never been good at organizing my space. I was always good at keeping my school and work stuff organized. Most of the reason is because I can't really spend any money on organizing accessories and we have limited storage in our tiny home. So, I'm going to need to be very creative. I've decided to break up the house into monthly projects. Each room/area will be a month and it just turns out that there are six so each area will get twice a year if I stick with it. So we've got kitchen, living room, entry/stairs/hallway, bathrooms, bedroom, bedroom. I'm going to start with the kitchen and work my way up. Here's the deal for each area: clean out, rearrange, and clean. I also want to think about the things I do in each area to see what I can change.

I've already started with the kitchen. I looked through all of my cupboards and made a list of categories. For example: plates/bowls, cups/glasses, kitchen appliances, baking dishes, serving items, grains/pasta, snacks, you get the idea. So now I need to figure out where everything is going to go! There are probably also a bunch of things that need to go away. I don't think we need the baby food mill anymore or the breast milk storage bottles, and probably don't need two waffle makers considering we never use one. I've also been thinking about kitchen routines and things I can change to stay organized and also ways to be more environmentally friendly. I will continue to post my updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment